Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Out of my "comfort zone"

I'm a very private person by nature, and I have a hard time reaching out to others. Now that I'm a 40-something, I see how much I need a support system around me. I'm trying to help and receive help from others, and it makes me nervous whenever I ask for anything. Writing this blog and sharing my thoughts is a huge deal to me, and I'm surprised at how easy it has been to find something to post.

I did several things today that were hard for me to do. I called to ask a neighbor if she can give my daughter a ride home from a meeting. I've picked up her daughter a few times, and so it's not a big deal, but it was hard for me to make the call. Another new thing for me was leaving comments on other blogs. I've never done it before, and for some reason I felt self-conscious, even though no one knows who I am. Also, I called a new neighbor to offer to bring her dinner. She had a baby several months ago, and I had offered to bring a meal when I spoke with her husband. It hadn't worked out for me to bring anything before now, and I feel like I've checked off a big item on my to-do list. I felt bad for waiting for so long, but better late than never.

No comments: